Even if your soldier is fortunate enough to be in an FOB like Liberty or Victory, the PX's are seldom fully stocked, and the inventory evidently changes often. When our sons were deployed, they were constantly wanting new games, dvd's, snack food, their favorite toiletries and razors, sheets, and 'stuff from home'.

In the sidebar on the left, you will find links to American stores and businesses that actively support our military and their families.


And please, don't miss the Archived Section containing priceless information on shipping to your soldier! I will occasionally copy that post as new so that it will stay close to the top, as it contains valuable information.
______________________

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Call To Duty

I'm back! After the November election, I admit to still being in a stage of mourning for our Nation, and I doubt that will pass soon. But that's all the more reason to keep trudging forward, just as our deployed sons, daughters, husbands and wives are doing for us. As I was clearing out some old computer files this morning, I came across one of the several articles that Shawn's squad leader asked him to write for our local paper during their deployment in 2006-07. He entitled it: Call of Duty and I believe it's a good reminder of what our families are fighting for. I say 'families', because to me, when your soldier is mobilized, the whole family mobilizes and we go through our own version of deployment. I hope you'll see a smidge of your own soldier through Shawn's words:

Call of Duty

The cold, snowy morning of December 8th, 2005, soldiers of Charlie Battery, 1-142d FA based in Rogers, Arkansas were called to duty. Duty has called us to participate in the global war on terror, to restore order and peace to a weary, war-torn country. This mission, better known as Operation Iraqi Freedom, has requested our warriors, husbands, sons, and brothers for strength. After hugs, kisses, and more than a few tears exchanged between soldiers and their families, the main body filed into charter buses and headed for XNA Regional Airport. Our first destination: Fort Dix, New Jersey for three months of rigorous training.

There are times when I get homesick, and wonder why I ever put my John Hancock on that dotted line. Then I remember that by doing this I set myself apart from the rest of the world. Not everybody can cut it in the Military, much less get through a deployment and fight a war. I never imagined that I could, or would have to, for that matter. I'm doing it for you, and for the guy at the stoplight next to me on the way to work, for my parents, grandparents, my cousins, aunts, uncles; for my friends, my co-workers and my classmates ...for our nation, yes, even those who aren’t so supportive of our efforts. I’m doing this for all of us... for our freedom.

Ever since September 11th, I've had this deep, dark hole inside of me that eats away at my thoughts. I didn't want to be one of those Americans that lived nowhere close to New York City watching the news, thinking how sad.... then going on about my days thankful that I didn't have to experience something like that. The insurgents overseas despise us because we are free. They despise us because we stand for so much more than they could ever imagine, and instead of joining us, they chose to attack us, or encourage and assist in the plans to attack.

That's where I had to step up. It's my job, my duty and my responsibility. One foreign terroristic government faction started this war by terrorizing Americans, on American soil. Other factions and governments aided, applauded and encourage these terrorist acts, at the same time taking great pleasure in humiliating, terrorizing and murdering their fellow countrymen, neighbors and families. How could I continue to sit idly by knowing there was a very real possibility that it could well be my fellow countrymen, neighbors or family who would be subjected to another attack on my Country?

Along with my brothers in arms, we are helping to heal and rebuild a nation of men, women, and children long held in terror, and at the same time, please know that we’re giving our very best to make sure that The United States of America is never again subjected to the horrors of terrorist attack on our sovereign soils. In return we ask simply for your support and prayers –for those of us currently deployed, for the ones who have gone ahead of us, the ones who will follow, and for our precious families we’ve left behind in your care.

No comments: